Sunday, July 18, 2010

more sunday rigatoni from gdl

My intention is not to turn my cyber hang-out here into nothing but Giada de Laurentiis recipes; but as I mentioned last week, I've been away from home for awhile, and I'm still making-up for lost kitchen time. And oh my ... today's Giada-inspired yumminess more than filled a long-neglected culinary gap or two.

I HAD to share.

It's called rigatoni with creamy mushroom sauce, and it is an absolute must make. Each bite was pasta ecstasy. Not unlike pasta ponza, it's utter simplicity, in terms of preparation. If you're a fan of mushrooms, prepare to be dazzled.

Rigatoni with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
From Giada at Home (p. 80)
4 TO 6 SERVINGS

1 pound rigatoni pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
salt and freshly-ground black pepper
1 pound assorted mushrooms (such as cremini, shitake, or button), cleaned and sliced
1/2 cut dry white wine
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 cup (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, but still firm to the bite, 8 to 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, about 2 minutes.
Add the mushrooms [I used cremini & shitake] and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Turn the heat to high.
Add the wine and cook for 3 minutes, or until all the liquid evaporates. Add the broth and simmer until the liquid is slightly reduced.
Remove the pan from the heat. Add the Mascarpone cheese and stir until creamy.
Drain the pasta, reserving about 1 cup of the pasta water, and transfer to a serving bowl.
Add the mushroom mixture and the Parmesan.
Season with salt and pepper and toss well to coat the pasta, adding the reserved pasta water, if needed, to loosen the pasta. Garnish with the copped chives.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, yes! I have made this before. So darn delicious! Inspired me to make it again this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A shamelessly funky Texan"-glad to meet you shameless! ;)
    I like that! I think we'll get along great!
    I'm adding you to my blogroll~

    be back soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay- I am following thru tales of the deep south... I really can't copy one more recipe for my pile - I mean file... too yummy to pass up!
    cheers, dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps check out eartydelights.com - recipes and ingredients!!!!!!!! that are hard to find

    ReplyDelete